Camp Sewee Counselor Position
Job Title: Marine Science Instructor/Counselor
Work Dates: May 19-August 10, 2019
Primary Location: Awendaw, South Carolina (~20 miles from Charleston)
To lead, instruct, and supervise campers (ages 8-16) in all areas of Marine Science Curriculum and perform duties that are required by the Camp Director. The camp runs out of a coastal area in South Carolina. It has direct access to the Intracoastal Waterway and we take trips out to a barrier island for nature hikes and marine studies. During the week, trips are made to aquariums, water parks, environmental education centers, and the ocean for surfing. At camp we take the campers into the salt marsh, crabbing, cast netting, as well as study dolphins and turtles. Various large and small group games are also led throughout the week. You can take a look at our camp by going to our website at http://seweesummer.camp/
- Teach all components of the Marine Science Curriculum (training provided).
- Lead students in daily program classes and activities (group games, team building, wake-up, meals, canteen, campfire, and rap-up).
- Be actively involved in all program activities, leading and participating in evening recreational and instructional times as scheduled.
- Assist with routine cleanup.
- Set-up and maintenance of site and program areas.
- Perform direct supervision of children while involved in classes and activities (on- and off-site).
- Perform camp counselor duties including staying and attending to campers over night while they are at camp.
- Pursuing a BA or BS in Marine Science, Biology, Wildlife and Fisheries Biology, Parks and Recreation, or related field is preferred but not necessary to apply (applies to Juniors, Seniors, and College Graduates.)
- Residential camp experience preferred.
- Must have the patience, understanding, flexibility, and energy to work and live with campers and staff.
- Must demonstrate teaching skills and the ability to implement creative “hands-on” teaching methods.
- Must be willing to sacrifice, adapt, and work hard as part of a team pursuing one common goal and objective.
- $440 - $580 twice a month
- Lodging on campus
- All meals during camp
- Sickness/accidental insurance plan.